“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
Where it all started.
Talk about an amazing first impression! This statement has three major principles that should guide our thinking.
- This is a declarative statement, not a theory begging for proof.
- God is independent of His creation. He preceded His creation. As a matter of fact, John 5:26 says, God has life in Himself. He does not need blood to keep Him alive. No one breathed into His nostrils and made Him a living soul.
- Our existence and every breath must acquiesce to the consequences of this statement. Lee Strobel added, “Simple enough for the youngest child to understand and yet sufficiently profound to inspire the greatest thinkers to ponder its ramifications. Genesis 1:1 is certainly one of the most beloved and consequential sentences ever written.” Because God holds together His creation, including His creatures, we are totally dependent on Him.
- If you are created, God meant for you to be here.
While using the HEAR method (see below) consider the following question:
- Which of the points above stands out to you most? Share which and why in the comments below.
Highlight – what words or phrases jump out at you?
Explain – what does the passage mean?
Apply – how does the passage intersect with your life today?
Respond – how is God leading you to respond?
Pastor Stephen Williams