1 Timothy 3:8-13
Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
According to these verses, what is the most important quality of a deacon? All of these qualifications reflect a person of good character in the community they serve. So the greatest quality is a character that has a voice among the people. Here are several thoughts on this truth.
- Bad character is a distraction from serving others.
- Serving requires personal interaction. So, a deacon has to be trusted before others will receive service.
- Servants reflect the Master or are examples of a follower of Christ.
- Good character allows a deacon to be real and authentic. If there are many things to hide, a person has to be fake.
Deacon’s do not represent perfection, but they do show God’s grace. A servant with these qualifications is a testimony of how God can mature a person once lost in sin.
While using the HEAR method (see below) consider the following questions:
- What do each of these qualifications say about a person’s character?
- What are questions that you have about any of these qualifications? Email the questions to email@example.com or ask in small groups when you meet.
- Why do you believe these characteristics are important?
- Should these characteristics be the goal of every follower of Christ?
Highlight – what words or phrases jump out at you
Explain – what does the passage mean?
Apply – how does the passage intersect with your life today?
Respond – how is God leading you to respond?