Take time in your small group this week to look at Jesus’ childhood. Most of what we read in these passages is descriptive – they give the facts of what happened. But if possible we’d like to go beyond just knowing the facts. What can we infer and apply to our own lives based on what we read? Is there anything prescriptive? From our passages this week you can discuss with your group:
- The trip to Bethlehem
- Jesus’ dedication at the temple – the role that his parents played in bringing him to the house of God, and the sensitivity of Simeon in recognizing the significance of this special child
- Jesus’ growth and development
- The challenges Jesus’ parents faced as he went AWOL to pursue His calling
- The significance of Jesus’ (and our own) baptism
- For the next few weeks, the devotional material will be light so we can put more emphasis on using the passage with the HEAR method. Use what you glean from your personal devotion time to share in the discussion with your group. If you aren’t in a group we’d love to help you connect with one. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or go to mybelmont.org/smallgroups
Highlight – what words or phrases jump out at you
Explain – what does the passage mean?
Apply – how does the passage intersect with your life today?
Respond – how is God leading you to respond?